Sunday, March 27, 2011

70 degrees is cold...

March was pretty busy. I was working a lot on soliciting funds for 2 big projects at the grade school; the construction of an English classroom and the construction of a recycling center. I have really enjoyed working with my counterpart, the principal, on these projects. Together, we completed and submitted 3 separate solicitudes. It might not sound like a lot, but these things take a lot of time. They averaged on about 15 pages each, including annexes with budgets, timelines and more. Now the waiting begins. Hopefully I will be posting some good news in a few months.

Besides fundraising, I have been teaching a lot. I honestly never realized how much Id be teaching... but on the other hand I had no clue what Id be doing anways. I have found teaching to be rewarding and challenging. I truly enjoy each of the classes I teach. I feel especially proud when I see my students remembering and applying things that they have learned in class. At the same time, I find the classes challening in that you must constantly work to keep the group interested and motivated. That might sound like an "obvio.." comment.. but you dont think about it until you have to do it! Kudos to all the teachers Ive had. Especially the interesting ones!

Other than work, its all good in the campo. We are in the middle of summer time so it gets pretty toasty during the day. And when I say toasty I mean freakishly hot. I literally walked to and from the soccer field to watch a game one day, which is was a total of 20 minutes in the sun, and had a bright red burn on my nose and neck. I broke down the other day and finally used an umbrella. Its what most people in my town do.. just took me receiving a serious burn to walk around with an umbrella when it isnt raining. I used to think it was funny that everyone in my town got so cold when the temperature dropped the slightest bit.. but living in Costa Rica in the summer makes me understand... 70 degrees is cold these days!

Well Ill leave it at that for now. I am currently in an internet cafe at the border (I live by the border of Panama) so time to sign off and finish my errands. I came today to buy fruit for the recycling group to sell at a school event this week. We are waiting to hear back from a local cooperative as to whether or not we will receive the fund we requested for the recycling center. In the mean time, we are going to try to do occasional sales to build up our bank account. This week involves selling fruit at some soccer games. Little by little!

No comments:

Post a Comment