Thursday, March 4, 2010

I made it!

Day 3 in Costa Rica. Blog Spot must know because all of my settings have been changed to Spanish. So in regards to my last post, the State Dept came through and processed my application and gave me a passport on Monday. I flew out of D.C. Monday morning!

The first week we are having a retreat outside of the city of Costa Rica, in a city called Tres Rios. We are up in the mountains and the view is beautiful! We overlook San Jose and have an amazing view of the surrounding mountains. Yesterday, I noticed that a nearby mountain had clouds surrounding the peak and wondered what it was like to be standing in the clouds. Today everything in our area was very foggy and misty.. so now I know how that feels. It was pretty cool.

There are about 55 of us in my group, which is called Tico 20. Currently there are about 100 other Peace Corps volunteers in country, which have completed training and are working in their respective communities. The retreat consists of different sessions throughout the day pertaining to safety, security, health, language, and our specific programs. It is a lot of information, and very informative. 

Another thing I am learning is that I will be eating a lot of "gallo pinto" in the next 27  months. It is the main Costa Rican dish, which consists of rice and beans. It is delicious, especially with cilantro! I am excited to be introduced to all of the Costa Rican dishes and learn how to cook them.

Now I am off to get some dinner. Hope everyone in the states are doing well!

2 comments:

  1. yay hannah! i miss you so much :( im glad to see you like it so far! talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from Mom.

    Reid says that you've moved into a host family's home, so I hope that's going well. The country you describe sounds so beautiful.

    Temps went up here into the high 50's, low 60's so for us that's pretty good. Not much snow left. It's nice enough to start walking Scruffy again.

    Talk with you later.

    ReplyDelete