Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekend Activities

Nothing too eventful happened this weekend. So good thing Im writing in my blog about it.. Friday evening I went out to a local place with 2 other volunteers in my community. Had good conversation, talked to some other people in the town, I really enjoyed it. Saturday it rained on and off through out the day. I ended up saying in and reading some of the materials Peace Corps gave me as well as doing working on some Spanish grammar exercises. I also watched some movies with my family. It was a nice, relaxing day. On Sunday we drove to a mall to see a movie. We saw Shutter Island. I really liked it, but was the only one that did, so I dont know if my opinion means anything. PS a movie ticket, popcorn and soda at the cinema is about $5. Good stuff. I also got a call from my mentor (shes in the Tico 19) group and found out that I will be visiting her site this weekend for 4 days. It will be great to get to talk to a current volunteer in CR and have a better understanding of an average day for a CED volunteer.

Today was classes and homework. We have been going around the town talking to various people in order to practice for what we will be doing in our future communities. Some of the activities have been meeting someone and finding out about their family, having a child and an adult draw a map of the community and analyzing different perspectives, interviewing a microentrepreneur to find out opportunities and challenges they have faced as a microentrepreneur, etc. Its really interesting talking to different people in the town. Everyone is extremely nice. After talking to one particular woman she invited me over to her house for coffee and to meet her family, which was a very nice gesture. I am excited to get to know more people in the community.

Hope all is well in the states. Miss and love everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Good talking to you today lady! I miss you mucho.. glad you are enjoying it there. Cant wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are off to a good start. Enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. San Francisco misses you! The weather here is lovely for the time being - the rain finally stopped and it's getting warm, just like it was this time last year when you were here. (But probably nowhere near as nice as your weather there!) I just bought a brand new super fast road bike, and Harry and I have been getting in some super long weekend rides.

    Hope all is well! It's been awesome to read your updates.

    ReplyDelete