Saturday, April 3, 2010

Semana Santa

This past week is known as Semana Santa in Costa Rica, or holy week. Ther have been lots of celebrations and masses going on at the church every day. I attended mass a couple of times with my family. There have also been a lot of processions, which is a sort of parade. We had classes Monday-Wednesday, then were off on Thursday and Friday. Having days off has been nice. There is a pool at my house, which was just filled this week. We have been playing a lot of pool volleyball, and there is a basketball hoop so I taught some of my siblings how to play Horse. I really enjoy just hanging out at the house with my family, I feel like I am always laughing (and sometimes being laughed at for my Spanish failures)

Next week is sort of a mid-way point for training. We have our next Language Proficiency Interview (LPI) to see how we have progressed in our Spanish in the past 5 weeks. In order to swear-in as a volunteer you have to be at a language proficiency level of intermediate-mid. I tested in as intermediate-low. The LPI is basicallya 30 minute conversation with one of the language facilitator. As far a my Spanish goes, I am definitely learning a lot, and feel that I can have conversations more fluidly and with greater ease. I especially like learning Costa Rican pachuca, slang. Heres a goodie I learned while playing cards the other night, tome chichi. It means take that sucker. Good stuff to have in my Spanish vocab. At the 5 week mark we also have to turn in all of the work we have done for our classes in the past 5 weeks. So I have been putting that together and making sure that I have everything.

Nothing too eventful going on next week besides classes. Next weekend there is something called VAC dinner, which is a get together for all volunteers and trainees in Costa Rican (there are about 150 total). That is in San Jose so I am going to that and they most of us are staying in town over night, which will be fun.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had some days off, and I wish you success in your language proficiency test. After you ace it, you can say "Tome Chichi!"

    Had a quiet Easter here, after visiting with the McNerneys and Emily Yeager for brunch. I didn't buy my Peeps yet, but am looking forward to getting some!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete