Friday, March 26, 2010

Service Learning Project

This week we met some students from the local high school. In order to graduate, they have to complete a service learning project. So we are going to help them with these projects. Edwin and I are working with a group of 4 kids to help them forumate project ideas and start the project. Today we went to the school and had our group draw a community map. It was really interesting because when we first arrived, we did this same activity. It was interesting to see the perspective of a visitor (we did the map our first week in town) vs kids that live here. Having them draw the map was a great way to get talking about their community, likes and dislikes, resources, dangerous places, etc. The kids are awesome and I had a great time hanging out with them this afternoon. Side note, we ate with them in the cafeteria and when we were being served our food Eric asked the cook if it was chicken or fish.. she smiled and said, its a banana. We´re still amateurs.

I´ve also pseudo-adopted a little puppy. My brother found a 1 month old puppy in the street and brought it home. I´ve been feeding it and cuddling it every day since. Nancy and I decided on the name Lily. It is the most precious puppy. My host mom always calls her a chiƱada because every time I hold her she falls asleep in my arms. My family asked me if I wanted to bring her with me to my community.. duh I do. So I will have to find out about this. Go figure I´d be trying to adopt dogs 3 weeks in.

I´m looking forward to a relaxing weekend. It has been a very long and tiring week. There is an arts festival in San Jose. I am planning on going to that with my sister tomorrow. On Sunday I believe we are going to check out a local waterfall/river and maybe do some swimming.

Also, I went around town and took some pictures today. I will be posting those soon.

Another thought, one thing I love about being here (and Ive briefly mentioned this before) is being in the mountains, so close to the clouds. Sometimes a fog will roll in from a cloud passing over the mountain. It is the coolest sensation.

Love you guys.

4 comments:

  1. hey lady! sounds like a fun week... I cant wait to see the pics!! We are still working out the plans of our vacation so I will let you know any info I get!
    Talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have Lily---she sounds so sweet. What kind of dog or mix is she? It's nice that the family accepted her. I hope she doesn't need too much in the way of shots or vet care.
    Do all the volunteers refer to host family members as brothers and sisters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I can't wait to see pictures... my favorite picture from hawaii was when we were on a mountain above the clouds. I agree is is such a cool/beautiful thing! I'm glad you're having such a great time

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom lily is at least half beagle.. and yes pretty much everyone refers to their host family as brothers, sisters, etc

    ReplyDelete